Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek is one of the most exciting and beautiful adventure treks that take you through the stunning Makalu and Everest Regions. It provides an impressive trekking experience in the remote Himalayan region as well as some mountaineering experience while doing the high passes like Sherpani Col (6155m), West Col (6135m), and Amphu Laptsa La pass (5845m) during the trek. During this trek, you will be passing through several local villages, forests, along with the upstream rivers. Yearly, it attracts thousands of tourists in Nepal. Most of the people living in the Lower Dolpo area are Tibetian. They also have their unique identity, local language, and dresses. If you have a long vacation and want to have an impressive experience then Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek is suitable for you.
Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek is one of the longest and toughest trekking destinations in Nepal. This trek starts by driving from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar which lies in the eastern part of Nepal. This trial will provide an amazing view of the mountains like Kanchenjunga, Makalu I, Makalu II, Lhoste, Everest, Ama Dablam, Pumori, & Thamserku from the Base camp of the Barutse. But to cross the pass we have to start early in the morning because the weather conditions and routes are more risky. The Snow Leopards, Himalayan Black Bears, and Red Panda make extra excitement during your trekking journey. So if you also want to create an extra experience and trip memories with more fun Lekbesi provides you with the best service.
Difficulty Level of the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek
The difficulty level of the Makalu Col Pass Trek is very high with long tour trekking destinations of Nepal. It takes 21 days with the traversing of three high passes that are above 5000 meters. We have to explore the Everest base Camp that lies at an altitude of 5364m. So due to the higher altitude, unpredictable weather, personnel fitness level, and their experiences the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek became more tough. For the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek, we have to be physically and mentally very strong with technical trekking skills. Trekking for the beginner is tougher in Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek But experienced Trekkers can get a lot of enjoyment from this natural scenery.
Best Season for the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek
According to the geography, temperature, and weather conditions of Nepal, the seasons are divided into 4 categories. The best season for Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek is difficult to predict but autumn (September, November, December) and spring (May, April, June) are considered the best for trekking. The Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek is a shadow-rain area of Nepal, Monsoon Season (June, July, August) is also suitable for trekking. So In this season, routes and weather are very clear and have low chances of rainfall. Based on the Nepali calendar, Nepal has its local season called ‘Ritu’ and every ritu has two months. They are listed below:
- Basanta Ritu (Mid- March to Mid-May) – It lies in spring.
- Grishma Ritu (Mid-May to Mid- July) – It lies in early summer
- Barsha Ritu (Mid- July to Mid-September) – It lies in the monsoon
- Sharad Ritu (Mid- September to Mid- November) – It lies in Autumn
- Hemanta Ritu (Mid-November to Mid-January) – It lies in winter
- Shishir Ritu (Mid- January to Mid-March) – It lies in late Winter
1.Autumn Season (September, October, November)
Autumn Season starts in mid-September and mid-November. In this season Sky is clear, fresh air and rare rain with a moderate traveling temperature. From the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek, we can see the eye-dazzling view of the mountain ranges such as Kanchenjunga, Makalu I, Makalu II, Lhoste, Everest, Ama Dablam, Pumori, & Thamserku. Nepali’s main festival Dashain and Tihar is also in this season so most of the Nepali people come for trekking to enjoy their vacation with nature. It is one of the best seasons for traveling so the mountainous region is full of tourists during this season. For the Lower Dolpo Trek, autumn is one of the best because it also has a high altitude.
2. Summer Season (June, July, August)
This season is also called the monsoon season. This season is also suitable for the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek because It is a shadow-rain area and the chance of rainfall is low, high passes are snow-free, green, and covered by alpine flora and the landscape resembles that of the Tibetan Plateau. In this season, there is a high chance of rainfall in the Terai region such as Chitwan, and Birgunj and the weather becomes very hot. In this season, fewer tourists are coming to visit Nepal. Due to the different landslides in Nepal, it is not considered as the best season for trekking and trekking routes are very dangerous and slippery if high rainfall occurs. Due to the unpredictable weather also we are not suggesting a trek in this season except for Lower Dolpo, Upper Mustang, and Tsum Valley.
3. Spring Season (March, April, May)
Spring Season occurs from Mid-March to Mid-May and is the best season for the tourist destination and Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek also. If rare rain falls there is a high chance of snowfall so we can see the panoramic view of the mountain from Here. We can also enjoy the high ice-capped peaks and play with our teams. This season has warm weather (not hot or cold) and mostly so many thousands of tourists are attracted yearly In Nepal which makes it comfortable for motorbike rides also. It is between Chaitra and Baisakh month. So, the spring season can be considered one of the best seasons for the tours. This season is the best time for motorbiking tours also due to the stable and favorable weather. In this season, due to its low range of rainfall, roads are clearer with dry and smooth locations. I would recommend this tour to any of you if you want to enjoy riding with good adventures in Nepal safely.
4. Winter Season (December, January, February)
Winter season starts from late November to February and is typically rain-free and clear. High altitude areas above 3,000 meters will be snowy and very cold indeed with nighttime temperatures of -10°C not uncommon. This is one of the coldest seasons in Nepal. Winters are miserably cold in the higher altitude and there are chances of snowfall in these areas. The winter season offers a clear sky, bright sunny days, and cool weather so short and easy treks to the Hills are highly recommended in this season. This season is suitable to trek the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek if you want to see and enjoy the snow but it becomes riskier.
Are you searching for a winter vacation destination? Here is what Lekbesi will offer you if you are visiting Nepal during winter through motorbiking and Jeep.
Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek Highlights
- Explore the Makalu Barun national park and the most popular Everest Region.
- Explores the Impressive eye-catching white-colored ice-land peaks.
- The Sherpani Col (6155m), West Col (6135m), and Amphu Laptsa La Pass (5845m) have amazing ice- peaks.
- Enjoy the unique culture, customs, and lifestyles of the Sherpa people by interacting with them.
- Experience the wildlife animals such as snow leopards, Red Panda, and Himalayan Black Bear.
- Explore the historical culture with monasteries, Prayer flags, Chortens, and many others.
- See the green forest, rivers, and waterfalls on the way.
The available Food during your Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek
Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek is one of the less popular tourist destinations for trekking in Nepal. So only limited food and drink items are available during this trek route and lodge. Due to lack of the transportation facility and the undeveloped mountain regions, the cost of food, drinks, and accommodation is more expensive than in Kathmandu Valley, Terai, and hilly regions. They bring their daily needed things using domestic porter animals such as mules, Horses, etc, and through a plane. Although there is no Highway facility, the Street shop, Hotel, and lodge provide you with the following food and drinks on the way to your trip. So if you have a group then the food and accommodation package will be more affordable than the solo.
Soup Items: Rara noodles soup, tomato soup, local soup, Timur soup, chicken soup, Daal soup, and potato soup.
Rice Items: Veg Dalbhat, Non- Veg Dal Bhat, Egg Fried Rice, Veg Fried Rice, Mixed Fried Rice, and Cheese, etc.
Spaghetti Items: Veg Spaghetti Bolognaise, Egg Spaghetti Bolognaise, etc.
Breakfast Items: bread of barely, boiled potato, egg pancake, tomato omelet, cheese omelet, etc.
Hot drinks Items: Black Tea, Hot water, coffee, etc.
Cold drinks Items: coca cola, sprite, fruity juice, Fanta, red bull, beer, Vodka, etc. are available.
Noodle Items: Rara, Waiwai, Pretty, and Chaumin are available.
Chocolate Items: All chocolate items such as Snickers, KitKat, and Churpi which is necessary to prevent altitude sickness.
Trekking Gear List for Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek
During any trek, there are many pieces of equipment, which are always necessary for your trip. So without it, it is always impossible to trek and very dangerous for your health. Some of the gear lists during the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek are below:
- Trekking stick
- Chocolates and water bottle
- Medicine of altitude sickness may happen due to high altitude.
- Down or windproof jacket with boot
- Gloves and sunglasses and others
- Sleeping bag
- First-aid Kit
- Lightweight trekking pants
- Tourist duffle bag
- Hiking boots
- Extra soaks
- Personal skincare products such as sunscreen, hand sanitizers, toilet paper, etc.
- Extra passport photocopies and photos with personnel information
1. In which district Makalu Sherpani Col Pass trek is located?
Makalu Sherpani Col Pass trek is mainly located in the Sankhuwasabha and Solukhumbu districts. So it lies in the Makalu Barun National Park area.
2. How challenging is the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass trek?
The Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek is slightly more complicated than other Annapurna Base Camps and Everest Base Camps due to its higher altitude, unpredictable weather, inclination, remoteness, and rugged trails.
3. What are the tips to overcome the difficulty level during the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek?
Due to the high altitude nature, altitude sickness is very common in this Trek. So, the best tips to overcome the difficulty level during the Makalu Base Camp Trek are:
- Always drink plenty of water on the way
- Carry a first aid box and medicine to prevent altitude sickness
- Always carry sufficient warm clothes at higher altitudes.
- Stretch the body every day before starting your trek in the mornin
4. What rules and regulations should be followed on the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek?
During the Makalu Sherpani Col Pass Trek, we have to follow the following rules and regulations. So the actions that are not allowed in this area are:
- Do not fire on the National Park area during the route of your trek.
- No fighting
- Sexual harassmen
- Do not make a noise in the National Park area and others also.
- Need to take the permit card
- The drone should be flown only in the allowed area
5. What accommodations can we expect on the Makalu Sherpani Pass trek?
Accommodations during the Makalu Sherpani-Col Pass trek are:
- From Num bazaar to Makalu base camp there are lodges.
- From the Makalu base camp until the Amphu Laptsa-la pass we use the tents for accommodation.
- After Amphu Laptsa Pass we will get the accommodation again in the lodges until Lukla.