Makalu Base Camp Trek is one of the remote and undiscovered trekking destinations of Nepal, situated in the eastern part of Nepal. It is popular as the Fifth highest mountain and eighth-largest National park area in the world. Makalu Base Camp is perfect for adventure seekers who want to see snow-covered landscapes, alpine meadows, high-altitude passes, glaciers, mountains, green forests, and many others. Makalu Base Camp attracts thousands of adventure lovers and tourists. Most of the hotels and lodges were already packed mainly in the spring and autumn seasons. Although you are not using any technology, the Natural scenery of Makalu Base Camp always surprises you during the trek. Mostly Tamang, Sherpa, and Rai people of this region have their own traditional culture, dress, language, and their lifestyle.
The Makalu Base Camp trek starts with the drive from Kathmandu Tumlingtar. It is also a prolonged and exciting trekking destination for you. So this trek takes about 3 weeks to reach the maximum altitude of 5,250m (5th highest point in the world). During this trek, we will walk an average of 4 to 5 hours per day and get impressive things like monasteries, Buddhist prayer flags, flora, fauna, green forest, waterfalls, blue lake, and rivers with many others. The main Highlights of the trek are the outstanding views of the mountains like Mt. Makalu (8,463m), Mt. Chamling (7,319m), and Baruntse (7,129m). So, this trek is culturally entertaining and naturally very exciting to experience the traditional rural people’s life.
The difficulty level of the Makalu Base Camp Trek
The Difficulty level of the Makalu Base Camp Trek is also considered the Hardest and most challenging Trek in Nepal. If you want to spend your long vacation on trekking then Makalu Base Camp Trek is best for you. The main Highlights of the trek are the outstanding views of the mountains like Mt. Makalu (8,463m), Mt. Chamling (7,319m), and Baruntse(7,129m). You have to trek to the remote village area and there may not be an available communication network on the trail except hotel and lodge. If we are physically and mentally prepared to trek the Makalu Base Camp, Then beginners can also trek without any rush. Experienced trekkers at high altitudes can get a lot of enjoyment and incredible fun. So, due to the unpredictable weather, higher altitude and snow-full routes make the trek difficult.
Best Season for the Makalu Base Camp Trek
According to the geography, temperature, and weather conditions of Nepal, the seasons are divided into 4 categories. The best season for Makalu Base Camp Trek is difficult to predict but autumn (September, November, December) and spring (May, April, June) are considered the best for trekking. Makalu Base Camp is a shadow-rain area of Nepal; Monsoon Season (June, July, and August) is also suitable for trekking. So In this season, routes and weather are very clear and have low chances of rainfall. Based on the Nepali calendar, Nepal has its local season called as ‘Ritu’ and every ritu has two months. They are listed below:
Autumn Season(September, October, November)
Autumn Season starts in mid-September and mid-November. In this season Sky is clear, fresh air and rare rain with a moderate traveling temperature. From the Makalu Base Camp Trek, we can see the eye-dazzling view of the mountain ranges such as Mt. Chamling (7,319m) and Baruntse (7,129m) and Makalu (8,481m). Nepali’s main festival Dashain and Tihar is also in this season so most of the Nepali people come for trekking to enjoy their vacation with nature. It is one of the best seasons for trekking so the mountainous region is full of tourists during this season. For the Makalu Base Camp Trek, autumn is one of the best because it also has a high altitude.
This season is also called the monsoon season. This season mainly occurs in the Jun, July, and August months. This season is not preferred for the Makalu Base Camp Trek because of steady rainfall, and natural disasters such as landslides and floods on the different parts of the route. There is a high chance of rainfall in the Terai region such as Chitwan, and Birgunj and the weather becomes very hot. In this season, fewer tourists are coming to visit Nepal. Due to the unpredictable weather, we are not suggesting a trek in this season except Lower Dolpo, Tiri La Pass, Upper Mustang, and Tsum Valley.
Spring Season occurs from Mid-March to Mid-May and is the best season for the tourist destination and Makalu Base Camp Trek also. If rare rain falls there is a high chance of snowfall so we can see the panoramic view of the mountain from Here. We can also enjoy the high ice-capped peaks and play with our teams. This season has warm weather (neither hot nor cold) and mostly so many thousands of tourists are attracted yearly In Nepal which makes it comfortable for motorbike rides also. It is between Chaitra and Baisakh month. So, the spring season can be considered one of the best seasons for the tours. This season is the best time for motorbiking tours also due to the stable and favorable weather. In this season, due to its low range of rainfall, roads are clearer with dry and smooth locations. I would recommend this tour to any of you if you want to enjoy riding with good adventures in Nepal safely.
Winter season occurs from late November to February and is typically rain-free and clear. High altitude areas above 3,000 meters will be snowy and very cold indeed with nighttime temperatures of -10°C not uncommon. This is one of the coldest seasons in Nepal. Winters are miserably cold in the higher altitude and there are chances of snowfall in these areas. The winter season offers a clear sky, bright sunny days, and cool weather so short and easy treks to the Hills are highly recommended in this season. This season is suitable to trek the Makalu Base Camp. If you want to see and enjoy the snow but it becomes more risky also. Are you searching for a winter vacation destination? Here is what Enjoy Nepal Treks Expedition and Tours Pvt.Ltd will offer you if you are visiting Nepal during winter through motorbiking and Jeep.
Makalu Base Camp Trek Highlights
- It provides an impressive surrounding mountain glacier in addition to the extreme views.
- Explores the Impressive high altitude with many passes such as Sherpani Pass, the West Col to Panch Pokhari, and the Amphu Laptsa Pass.
- There is an exciting view of Mt. Makalu (8,463m), Mt. Chamling (7,319m), and Baruntse (7,129m) peaks.
- Enjoy the unique culture, customs, and lifestyles of the Sherpa and Rai people by interacting with them.
- Experience the wildlife animals such as snow leopards, Red Panda, and Himalayan Black Bear.
- Explore the historical culture with monasteries, Prayer flags, Chortens, and many others.
- See the green forest, rivers, and waterfalls on the way.
The available Food during your Makalu Base Camp Trek
Tiri La Pass trek is one of the less popular tourist destinations for trekking in Nepal. So only limited food and drink items are available during this trek route and lodge. Due to lack of the transportation facility and the undeveloped mountain regions, the cost of food, drinks, and accommodation is more expensive than in Kathmandu Valley, Terai, and hilly regions. They bring their daily needed things using domestic porter animals such as mules, Horses, etc, and through a plane. Although there is no Highway facility, the tea shop, Hotel, and lodge provide you with the following food and drinks on the way to your trip. So if you have a group then the food and accommodation package will be more affordable than the solo.
Soup Items: Rara noodles soup, tomato soup, local soup, Timur soup, chicken soup, Daal soup, and potato soup.
Rice Items: Veg Dalbhat, Non- Veg Dal Bhat, Egg Fried Rice, Veg Fried Rice, Mixed Fried Rice, Cheese, etc.
Spaghetti Items: Veg Spaghetti Bolognaise, Egg Spaghetti Bolognaise, etc.
Breakfast Items: bread of barely, boiled potato, egg pancake, tomato omelet, cheese omelet, etc.
Hot drinks Items: Black Tea, Hot water, coffee, etc.
Cold drinks Items: coca cola, sprite, fruity juice, Fanta, red bull, beer, Vodka, etc. are available.
Noodle Items: Rara, Waiwai, Pretty, and Chaumin are available.
Chocolate Items: All chocolate items such as Snickers, KitKat, and Churpi which is necessary to prevent altitude sickness.
Trekking Gear list for Makalu Base Camp Trek
During any trek, there are many pieces of equipment, which are always necessary for your trip. So without it, it is always impossible to trek and very dangerous for your health. Some of the gear lists during the Makalu Base Camp Trek are below:
- Trekking stick
- Chocolates and water bottle
- Medicine of altitude sickness may happen due to high altitude.
- Down or windproof jacket with boot
- Gloves and sunglasses and others
- Sleeping bag
- First-aid Kit
- Lightweight trekking pants
- Tourist duffle bag
- Hiking boots
- Extra soaks
- Personal skincare products such as sunscreen, hand sanitizers, toilet paper, etc.
- Extra passport photocopies and photos with personnel information
1.In which district is Makalu base camp?
Makalu base camp lies in the Sankhuwasabha district of eastern Nepal. It lies in the Makalu Barun National Park at an altitude of 4870m above sea level.
2. What are the best reasons to choose the Makalu base camp trek?
Makalu Base Camp is diverse in nature. Due to the following main attraction point, Makalu Base Camp is chosen as the best trekking destination in Nepal:
● Enjoy Spectacular Views of Eastern Nepal
● Wander through farm Terraces
● Learn about the Rai and Sherpa Culture
● Spot Rare Wildlife
● Outstanding and eye-catching Views of Many of the World’s Highest Peaks
● Makalu Barun National Park
● Cross some of the most Beautiful but Difficult Passes in Nepal
● Enjoy Glaciers Gripping the Mountains
● Remote Location with Low Traffic
● Enjoy Contrasting Landscapes
● Watch Domestic and Wild Animals
3. What are the permits required for a Makalu Base Camp Trek?
This area lies in the restricted area of Nepal so we need the special permit card to trek this place. To take the special permit card, foreigners need a Passport and Nepalese need a photocopy of the citizenship card. Some of the permit cards are:
- Makalu Barun National Park Conservation area(US$30 per person)
- Trekker’s Information Management system (US$20 per person)
4. What are the tips to overcome the difficulty level during the Makalu Base Camp Trek?
The best tips to overcome the difficulty level during the Makalu Base Camp Trek are:
- Always drink plenty of water on the way
- Carry a first aid box and medicine to prevent altitude sickness
- Always carry sufficient warm clothes at higher altitudes.
- Stretch the body every day before starting your trek in the morning
5. What rules and regulations should be followed on the Makalu Base Camp Trek?
During the Makalu Base Camp Trek, we have to follow the following rules and regulations. So the actions that are not allowed in this area are:
- Do not fire on the National Park area during the route of your trek.
- No fighting
- Sexual harassment
- Do not make a noise in the National Park area and others also.
- Need to take the permit card
- The drone should be flown only in the allowed area